Before we begin, let’s clear up a few misconceptions about the attack on the US consulate in Benghazi and what the White House knew about it.
About ten days ago, in a State Department telephone press conference that involved one of the men who was at the scene, they revealed that there were no protests in Benghazi on September 11, and that the men at the consulate knew from the very first explosion that it was a terrorist attack. More pertinently, when they realized they were under attack, the first thing the men did was to call out for help:
As those guys attempt to secure a perimeter around Building C, they also move to the TOC, where one agent has been manning the phone. I neglected to mention from the top that that agent from the top of this incident, or the very beginning of this incident, has been on the phone. He had called the quick reaction security team, he had called the Libyan authorities, he had called the Embassy in Tripoli, and he had called Washington. He had them all going to ask for help. And he remained in the TOC.
Further, once Ambassador Stevens got to the safe haven within his residence, an agent with him radioed out to tell everyone where they were and that, for the moment, they were safe.
As per standard government procedure, these calls would go into critical incident reports, which would immediately be circulated to the highest levels of government. This is how a former CIA official characterized such a report four days ago:
That report, a Flash or a Critic going back to Washington D.C. goes to CIA headquarters but it also goes to the situation room in the White House. It goes to the Bureau of Intelligence and Research in the State Department. It goes to the military committee – it goes to all of them. … When you’re a Chief of Station and you’re in a crisis, you fire out to the entire community and they all go it immediately.
So, the White House, State Department, and CIA had all been told that it was a terrorist attack within minutes after the attack commenced. UN Ambassador Susan Rice, as a cabinet level official with security clearance, would also have been cc’d such reports. Thus, there was never any confusion within the highest levels of government as to the nature of the attack. Everyone, from the president on down, was aware that this was a terrorist attack, and was aware of it in real time as it happened.
The whole group of them has been lying to the American people over the last month and a half. This has been known by the press–if the press cared to even look at the evidence–for at least ten days. Yet, because the press refuses to widely report what happened, people still are somehow willing to believe the lies.
The latest revelations concern the various reports that flew around Washington DC while the terrorist attack was still in progress (the attack lasted intermittently over more than seven hours). The only thing new in these reports are added details about what happened and what people in Washington DC knew at the time. In particular, the reports state that within about two hours after the terrorist attack began, the White House knew the names of those claiming responsibility for the attack:
The first email, timed at 4:05 p.m. Washington time – or 10:05 p.m. Benghazi time, 20-30 minutes after the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission allegedly began – carried the subject line “U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi Under Attack” and the notation “SBU”, meaning “Sensitive But Unclassified.”
The text said the State Department’s regional security office had reported that the diplomatic mission in Benghazi was “under attack. Embassy in Tripoli reports approximately 20 armed people fired shots; explosions have been heard as well.”
The message continued: “Ambassador Stevens, who is currently in Benghazi, and four … personnel are in the compound safe haven. The 17th of February militia is providing security support.”
A second email, headed “Update 1: U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi” and timed 4:54 p.m. Washington time, said that the Embassy in Tripoli had reported that “the firing at the U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi had stopped and the compound had been cleared.” It said a “response team” was at the site attempting to locate missing personnel.
A third email, also marked SBU and sent at 6:07 p.m. Washington time, carried the subject line: “Update 2: Ansar al-Sharia Claims Responsibility for Benghazi Attack.”
The message reported: “Embassy Tripoli reports the group claimed responsibility on Facebook and Twitter and has called for an attack on Embassy Tripoli.”
While some information identifying recipients of this message was redacted from copies of the messages obtained by Reuters, a government source said that one of the addresses to which the message was sent was the White House Situation Room, the president’s secure command post.
The president knew then what had happened, and he knows now. Everything that Obama and his minions have said about this attack, even his statements that they needed more information about what happened and that they were still investigating it, is a complete and utter lie. Nothing Obama has said about what happened is true. Not a single word.
That Obama went to bed still not knowing what had happened to his US ambassador to Libya and with these reports still coming in tells us all we need to know about the man. He could not be spared to take time to look after national interests because he needed his beauty sleep. Then as soon as he made a brief speech the next morning appearing to blame the US 1st Amendment for the incident, he flew off to a fund-raiser in Nevada. Days after the attack occurred, his chief political consultant, David Axelrod, was unable to say when or if Obama had ever sat for a security briefing about what happened.
In short, the best thing that can be said about Obama is that he is damaged goods.
One final note. According to the State Department briefing, which has checked out as being accurate thus far, Ambassador Stevens was left at his residence by the others at the diplomatic mission. They fighting was so fierce that the men could not defend themselves any longer and were afraid for their lives. Meanwhile, the ambassador’s residence was in flames, and the ambassador was missing within it. When they tried to go in to find him, the smoke was so thick that they could not see anything or breathe. Then men had no choice but to leave him.
Ambassador Stevens was in the safe haven within his residence, apparently overcome by the smoke. The terrorists never found him, and after they saw the others leave they assumed that he had left as well and took up pursuit, attacking US personnel at another facility in Benghazi, some distance away. Other Libyans, who were not attacking the embassy and who were not part of any terrorist group, came to the consulate after everyone else had left, and found Stevens dying.
My son-in-law speaks fluent Arabic, and he reports that in the video where Stevens is found, the men are saying, “Thank God he is still alive!” These men took him to the hospital. Hospital staff then dialed all the numbers on his phone until they reached someone who could tell them who the man was–as apparently they did not know for certain that he was the ambassador. There is no evidence anywhere that Stevens was raped after he was found. Sadly, Stevens died at or in route to the hospital.
This was the reaction in Benghazi after the attack:
Let’s keep our anger where it belongs. The real culprits here are not the people of Benghazi–the real culprits are the terrorists who committed this attack, and an Obama administration which did not provide proper security, which did not send in commandos to help even though those commandos were only 1 1/2 hours away by plane, and which has flagrantly lied to the American people for more than a month in order to cover up what happened.