Republican congressman Steve Stockman has introduced a bill that would allow taxpayers to behave like IRS officials. Here are the permissible reasons in the bill for not turning over records to the IRS:
1. The dog ate my tax receipts
2. Convenient, unexplained, miscellaneous computer malfunction
3. Traded documents for five terrorists
4. Burned for warmth while lost in the Yukon
5. Left on table in Hillary’s Book Room
6. Received water damage in the trunk of Ted Kennedy’s car
7. Forgot in gun case sold to Mexican drug lords
8. Forced to recycle by municipal Green Czar
9. Was short on toilet paper while camping
10. At this point, what difference does it make?
This bill is of course a nonstarter, but nevertheless great political theater.